Streaming media is video, audio or text sent over the Internet and displayed by the viewer on their own computer upon arrival. With streaming media, an Internet web user does not have to wait to download a large file before seeing the video or hearing the sound. Instead, the media is sent in a continuous stream and is played as it arrives just like your television set. Video Streaming Services Corporation, a Sacramento based business, makes managing, producing and delivering your video over the Internet easy, accessible and an affordable solution for government organizations.
HOW CAN STREAMING VIDEO BENEFIT GOVERNMENT ENTITIES?
The use of video in government agencies has been growing over the past few years as technology has improved. In 1996, ten years ago, the founders of Video Streaming Services Corporation delivered the first ever turnkey, live streaming services to California State agencies.
We produced and delivered regular live Internet broadcasts of commission meetings for both the California Energy Commission and the California Public Utilities Commission. We have more experience than anyone else in delivering live streaming media services to California State government agencies. In the past, video services were primarily used for security and lobby billboard applications. Image quality was poor, and most systems were black and white. Today the ability to stream high quality, live or archived full color audio and video recordings of government functions is now an important factor in many areas of government. Video enables faster response times, inter/intra-departmental communications, faster organizational decision-making processes, and greater access to and for constituents and the public at large. Video streaming and streaming content management today have many applications in the government environment today, including:
- Live recording and broadcasting of public meetings as they occur
- Greater access for the public and constituents
- Significant potential cost savings
- Wider and simpler distribution of your messages
- Eliminate travel costs
- Personnel compliance and training
- Train your staff at their desks
- Remote judicial video and arraignment
- Arraign inmates without moving them from jails
- Hold pre-trial hearings, schedule remote testimony
- Inter/Intra-departmental communications
- Keep in touch with your staff and other departments
HOW DOES VIDEO STREAMING WORK?
Streaming video can be broken down into three major parts:
1. Recording your live video
2. Moving your video to a streaming Internet video format
3. Broadcasting your streaming video over the Internet
1. Recording is the most important aspect of any streaming video project. The highest quality recording ensures the highest possible video quality streamed by us out over the Internet for you. We can record your video at your location or in the field or in our broadcast studios. We have van mobile digital video cameras, encoding and streaming systems to allow us total mobility for your recording requirements. Prior to each event we consult with your organization to ensure that your expectations are met by our team of video recording professionals. To record your video we employ one or more top-of-the-line professional broadcast quality digital video cameras, setup and operated by our trained video engineers. For multi-camera shoots we employ a video switcher and a producer in addition to the camera operators. We also have the ability to bring in and manage separate live audio recording systems that will seamlessly integrate with any existing audio system you may already have in place. This leaves you free to conduct your meetings without the need to worry about lighting, camera angles, audio and other event recording issues.
2. During your event, as we record your video and audio content, we turn your audio and video into a format that we can use to send it out across the Internet in a process known as encoding and it has two main steps:
1. Compress the size of your video and audio files to make Internet video delivery feasible 2. Save your video files in a format that can be archived and played back at a later date.
The goal of compression is to reduce the size of the video file while keeping your image quality high. Codecs (Coders Decoders) compress data as it is encoded and decompress it for playback by the viewer. Video Streaming Services Corporation uses all of the following industry standard streaming encoders: • Microsoft® Windows Media® • Macromedia Flash • Apple QuickTime • MPEG-2 • MPEG-4 • H.264. We provide the real-time encoding hardware and software either at the point where the recording is being made or at our server facility. We encode your video and audio stream into multiple stream speeds so that it can be viewed by anyone from any Internet connected computer without the need for any special software. If you have already recorded an event with or without the use of our recording crews and services then we can take your pre-recorded video and encode it for streaming on our servers or we can edit it and burn a DVD of the event for distribution. This can be especially useful for training and personnel development videos.
3. To broadcast your live or pre-recorded video over the Internet, we deliver encoded video to our streaming video servers. Our video streaming servers are specialized in the audio/video streaming task. Our streaming systems have been designed specifically for actively sending your video to a web page where your audience can access it live or on-demand from a saved file. If you would like to record a meeting for later broadcast instead of live broadcasting, then we will have time to work with your organization to edit your video before it is made available for viewing over the Internet.
Video Streaming Services Corporation is your full service streaming video service provider. Call us for more information, to schedule a meeting, or tour our broadcast studios.